Saturday 6 October 2012

How to dress like a secretary 1930

Out For Lunch, 1936

How to dress like a secretary 1930

If you have not seen the love letter to Miss Lemon, Secretary of Hercule Poirot, I linked to yesterday, you really should. If you follow me on Polyvore then you know deep roots keep Miss Lemon took me. Poirot, a childhood love for me could be the reason why I have a deep love for Art Deco.
With the stock market crash, the 1930s were not as prosperous as the 20s. It follows that fashion was a bit more sober. Waist up to its natural place and dropped hem knee mid calf outrageous. Madeleine Vionnet popularized the bias cut, so skirts were narrow, not full. Ornaments relied more on pinching, folds, pleats and cutting edge design instead of feathers and pearls. Jewelry was heavy and geometric. Hats were a must, but you can use any style you want bell cocktail, beret turban.Road Trip, 1930
Rhapsody in BlueThe New Yorker